Last year, there was a certain amount of noise about the fact that the mesh organizers managed to find only a tiny number of women speakers — 6 out of 50, or some such ridiculous ratio — and this year is not shaping up to be any better, with exactly zero women keynote speakers. It appears, however, that they’re trying to head off the protests via a somewhat disingenuous post on Mark Evans’ blog:
The truth is we wanted women keynotes, spent a lot of time compiling a list of excellent candidates and tried to make it happen. But, for a variety of reasons, we couldn’t make it work.
Yeah, those reasons being:
- If we talk to them, we might get cooties.
stripperswomen who we usually hang out with don’t meet the requirements.
- None of them would agree to get the coffee and take notes.
- The only ones that we could find didn’t have good enough tits.
- We didn’t think that their husbands would let them attend.
- What do women know about technology, anyway?