Okay, let me see if I understand this:
- The government spends a ton of our tax dollars to encourage us to save energy.
- We (reluctantly, in some cases) comply.
- Eventually, we not only feel good about saving energy, we pay less on our hydro bill.
- Toronto Hydro complains that we’re not using as much hydro, so they have to raise our rates. Obviously, they thought that we wouldn’t actually conserve any energy in spite of the huge publicity campaigns and tax breaks, and didn’t build decreased usage into their planning scenarios. (Or maybe they need the cash to prop up their city wifi network boondoggle when they start charging $29/month for it and usage drops to zero. Or maybe they’re still paying out Wanda Liczyk’s severance.)
- Eventually, we pay more on our hydro bill.
What’s wrong with this picture?