Hosting on GoDaddy

Saturday, February 24, 2007

I finally got all of my domain transfers and hosting sorted out — my corporate domain is now with GoDaddy both as the registrar and the web host (although the archive of my business blog is still down), my Yahoo hosting account is cancelled, and I never have to talk to Melbourne IT again. I had a problem with GoDaddy’s nameservers not propagating things properly on the transfer, which meant that I spent 24 hours without a website and email, but it all seems to be sorted out now.

I’ve previously documented the problems that I’ve had with Yahoo and WordPress hosting:

Yahoo’s MySQL installation, besides being out of date, is somewhat screwed up; this, in turn, seems to be impacting the ability to do a WordPress upgrade or even a separate WordPress install. My advice: avoid Yahoo Small Business hosting if you need anything but the exact WordPress version that they’re offering, which is currently 2.0.2. This likely won’t be a problem until a major WP upgrade occurs and you really want some new feature in the new version.

This became a real problem last week when I was dabbling with MySQL and couldn’t set permissions properly on the database; I just got fed up with Yahoo’s non-standard MySQL and WordPress installations, and decided to move it over to GoDaddy, where I have been hosting both this blog and my wine club’s site/blog for some time with good results. In the post linked above, I stated that I was reluctant to consider GoDaddy because of crappy technical support, but I’ve had pretty uniformly crappy technical support from every hosting provider and concluded that GoDaddy’s technical support isn’t outstanding in its crappiness — in fact, in getting the problems sorted out over the last week, it’s been pretty good.

I went with GoDaddy’s Linux-based Deluxe hosting package, which gives me 100GB disk space, 1TB of monthly data transfer, 6 FTP users, 25 MySQL databases plus PHP, CGI, Java, Ruby and a ton of other stuff. This is way bigger than I need for any single domain that I own, but it allows me to host multiple domains on a single account, so I’m using it to host my corporate domain, this blog domain and a few other domains that I have without buying anything extra for each new domain (except the domain registration, obviously). Most hosting plans on any service, even the lowest level starter plans, are far bigger than I need for any site that I need hosted, so the multiple domains per account is perfect for me.

I don’t like that you have to have one primary domain on the account, so that all others are contained in subdirectories of that domain; other hosting solutions that I’ve used that support multiple domains in a single account allow the domains to be in sibling directories, hence better isolated and not dependent on the existence of the primary domain. To fake this out, I put my unused sandykemsley.com domain as the primary and everything else as secondary domains in subdirectories off that; I then redirected sandykemsley.com to kemsleydesign.com, which means that no one can accidentally navigate to one of my secondary domains by going to a subdirectory in the primary domain. Okay, problem solved, but I had to have a dummy domain to use as the primary in order to do this, or put a bogus domain name in there.

Another GoDaddy annoyance is the lack of a proper file manager in the domain administration: there’s a Java ftp client, handy for uploading/downloading files if you don’t have access to a real ftp application, but although you can see the file structure on the server, you can’t move files around. That means if you upload something to the wrong directory, you have to delete it and upload it again, which became a bit of a pain when I was moving things around to create the primary/secondary domain structure within my hosting account. Not sure whether it was Sympatico DSL upload speeds or some choke point on the GoDaddy server, but the uploads are a bit slow. Yahoo, and other hosting services that I’ve worked with, have a file manager functionality that allow files to be moved and copied around the site without uploading again.

The one thing that kept me on Yahoo for so long was their webmail: it’s fast and easy to use with great spam filtering, and it’s integrated with my free Yahoo account (which I use for filling out web forms) so I can just click between them in the Yahoo environment. They also allow 2GB per mailbox for the email accounts included with the web hosting account.

GoDaddy hosting packages, on the other hand, come with seriously inadequate email accounts of 25MB each, and their web mail is good, but not as nice as Yahoo’s. However, most of my mail ends up downloaded to Outlook, so I’m really only dependent on the webmail interface when I’m travelling without my computer or to pre-filter for spam (with both Yahoo and GoDaddy, you can increase the accuracy of the spam filters by marking any spam that appears in your webmail inbox, but if Outlook downloads it and deletes it from the server, it’s too late). The spam filtering is working pretty well so far, certainly as accurate as Yahoo.

In order to get more email space on GoDaddy, I purchased a Deluxe email plan, with gives me a total of 1GB of storage divided however I want between up to 5 email addresses. Since I only use two actual POP email boxes — everything else is handled through email address forwarding — this works fine for me. 1GB works out to be plenty: even when travelling for a month over Christmas, I had less than 50MB of email accumulated (but more than 25MB) in my webmail to download when I returned.

In my previous post comparing WordPress experiences (linked above), I mentioned that GoDaddy didn’t allow multiple users per MySQL database, which would require that any applications build in their own authentication; I haven’t reinvestigated that issue, but I don’t think that it’s going to be a big problem.

All in all, I now have an infinitely more competent registrar, and properly working MySQL and WordPress, for a fraction of the cost:

GoDaddy:

• Web hosting deluxe (allows multi-domain hosting) = $6.29/month = $75.48/year
  • Email plan = $19.99/year
  • Total = $95.47/year for my two domains (this one and my corporate site), with room to add any number of other domains until my space/bandwidth is used up

Yahoo:

• $11.95/month = $143.40/year for my corporate site
  • Same amount for this blog’s hosting
  • Total = $286.80.year for my two domains, and an increment of $143.40/year for any other domains that I want hosted

Never having to talk to Yahoo customer support again: priceless.

1. Mário Fernandes says:

can you use deluxe mail plan over all domains or just on the primary?

As far as I know, you can use it on any of your domains, but one email plan only works for one domain.

I’m now using Google mail for my domain, although my hosting is still on GoDaddy. Much more capacity and the interface is way better, plus it’s free.

3. juan says:

I am hosting with Godaddy Deluxe Plan.

Some reviews comment on the page download slowness.

Have you experienced any problem with this issue?

I had a few sporadic problems with MySQL timing out when viewing WordPress entries, but that seems to have gone away. I don’t do large downloads from my site, it’s mostly to host WordPress, so haven’t noticed any other issues.

5. pei says:

I find that Contribute will often hang up or upload the files to my Godaddy account very slowly. But usually I can try again and it works the next time.

The most frustrating thing is not being able to move files around… it drives me crazy!

Never used Contribute.

You can move files with the (fairly) new file manager utility, but it’s not very good.

7. Steve says:

I have been using Godaddy for two years now. I had to call tech support for the first time the other day for an issue with FTP and it turned out that it was my router that was the problem. The tech support guy asked me if there was any particular reason I was wasting money on two deluxe hosting plans when I was never anywhere near the disk space or bandwidth limits. I told him I was hosting two domains and he told me how to set it up on one account. He then issued a refund for 22 months of hosting. I have never seen a company do this. I was very impressed!

8. Francisco L says:

Best Hosting? No… The worst website hosting is Godaddy. Their hosting services are the complete opposite of their registrar services. They have very unusual restrictions in plans (like a limit of 1000 e-mails sent per day in a DEDICATED SERVER, lol). These restrictions are hidden in it’s “sales technics”. The support is very slow, take more than 24 hours to answer questions. No guarantee, no refundable, no respect, no shame to provice a deficient service. They win money with it’s hosting services lying to customers. It’s probabbly an outsourced service. Terrible. Flee from its host services!!

I don’t use them for email, only for site hosting. There’s been a few glitches with the WordPress installation, but overall not bad. I’m sure that there are many better hosting companies, but for the relatively small amount of traffic that I get on my site, they’re okay. Also very economical since I can host multiple domains under a single account.

10. James says:

Thanks for explaining the set up for the domain hosting, as I have been going around in circles trying to figure out how to set this up. As I want to host several other domains from within the deluxe hosting platform. So from what you say that I need to set up dummy account (one that I don’t use as the primary), got a little confused on the faking out stuff.

11. Lorence says:

GoDaddy is one of the worst hosts you can use, Any experienced webmaster can tell you that. You can get 10 times better hosting for the price, just do some research. Best!

Lorence, can you specifically suggest some alternatives, and why they’re better? I’m finding GoDaddy okay for my needs right now, which is hosting multiple domains under a single account, most of which are running WordPress.

13. Luke says:

GoDaddy is a nightmare. Aviod! They oversell their servers to the max and really don’t care. I’ve seen this happen to my company and to several others that I know. Go ahead and sign up for their service; you’ll come to know what I’m talking about very soon.

Luke, I’ve been hosting with them for a couple of years now, and have had very few problems. My websites are fairly low traffic, however; I think that there would be problems if it were higher. I know that there’s problems with using WordPress Super Cache on GoDaddy (although there is also a workaround) so if my traffic spiked I’d have no way to avoid the outages. Fortunately, my business blog traffic is primarily via RSS feed, which is not impacted by GoDaddy’s server performance.

15. sphinx says:

Godaddy support is a nightmare, my site has been down for 27 hours now and it is still down, I am unable to connect to my database. i am being told that it may take between 24 and 72 hours for the tech support to look at your ticket, and if there is nothing they can do to resolve it it would take 7 to 10 business days to restore my hosting account. right now i am just waiting for the issue to get fixed so i can move my site to a different hosting company, I am losing client every minute that goes by, and they havent shown any concern about the issue. I would not suggest godaddy to anybody, stay away people