Moving hell

Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Seems like it’s the time of year for people to be moving, and almost every one of them has a horror story to tell. I was reminded of a post about moving that I had read some time ago on Joey deVilla’s blog, the comments on which resulted in him getting some nasty phone calls from the thugs at Quick Boys Moving, when my sister Betty had a slight moving catastrophe last week.

Betty moved 6 doors down the same street in her Toronto neighbourhood, from a 2-storey house to a flat on the 2nd and 3rd floor of another house. She called around for movers who would do a moving job without a truck, which was apparently something that they’re just not programmed to accept, since it really just needed 2 or 3 guys and a couple of dollys to cart the stuff down the sidewalk. Finally, she found Desi Movers, and had two (two!) discussions on the phone with the owner telling him that a) no truck was needed, and b) there’s one flight of stairs at the start, and two at the finish. No problem, he said, quoted her a price, said that there was no minimum number of hours, and said that they’d be there at 8:30 sharp last Monday.

The only thing that arrived at her place at 8:30 sharp on Monday was me with her coffee, and we waited until almost 9:30 for the movers to show up: 2 of them, with one dolly. The movers whipped out a contract for her to sign that a) had a four-hour minimum, although she estimated that three would do it, and b) it was an extra $15 per man per set of stairs. She called the owner, who first had to be convinced that they were not going to use the truck since it was parked practically in front of the new place anyway, and then told her that the guys didn’t want to do the move because she was apparently depriving them of their stairs bonus. Now, she should have had a written contract before starting, and he really should have come out to see the place before giving an estimate, but this is the type of moving-day extortion that is so common that I wasn’t completely surprised when it happened.

She prepaid them for 3 hours, with the agreement that she’d pay more if they went over that time, then we proceeded to have the 3 slowest hours of moving that I have ever seen. Two pre-schoolers with a rickety wagon could have gone faster at some points during the morning. When the couch wouldn’t fit up the stairs at the new place and the landlord (who lives downstairs) was taking the door and part of the door frame off to accommodate it, they mostly just stood around instead of moving the remaining boxes out of the old place and down the sidewalk to the new place. One particularly heavy box was just left at the old place, and a heavy one at the new place was left on the porch until they were prompted several times to carry it up the stairs. At one point, they just stopped going upstairs in the old place, leaving 12-15 boxes up there, then at 12:30 they got in the truck, told Betty that they had another job to be at, and drove off. To say that she was furious would be a serious understatement.

This is not an isolated incident, by any means. When I moved back to Toronto from southern California in 2002, my furniture arrived in a big truck (as you would expect) from Alex Moving and Storage, a North American Van Lines agent in Orange County. The movers, who I think were just tired and cranky from driving all night, decided that they couldn’t park the truck in front of the apartment building (it was common for moving trucks to park there, although technically not legal), and they couldn’t get the truck into the back laneway in spite of all the other trucks of that size that I’d seen get into exactly that same spot. So they drove away with all my furniture, and their local affiliate, Blue Bird Moving, called me to extort an additional $US827.63 from me to offload my furniture to a smaller truck and bring it back the next day — which is more than it cost to have movers move the same load of stuff from that apartment to another one about a year later. That’s after I already paid Alex Moving $US4,500 to get the stuff here in the first place. To top it off, they damaged some leather furniture — furniture that had been shrink-wrapped to guard against just such damage before leaving California and somehow was mysteriously unwrapped somewhere along the way. The insurance adjuster who visited from NAVL said that I would certainly be eligible for compensation since the damage would take a few hundred dollars to repair, but his final report (ever faithful to the company, I suppose) deemed that it was all less than the $100 deductible. One such episode would be bad enough, but to be screwed by the NAVL agent in Orange County, the agent in Toronto, and their insurance company, all on one move, was a bit much.

Then this morning, I saw this post on Feministe about her particular moving hell, and realize that incompetent/unscrupulous moving companies are just part of life everywhere.

1. Paul says:

I also had a very bad experience with Desi movers. They showed up on time & were pleasant, but moved VERY slowly (e.g. taking 2 boxes at a time down the elevator instead of filling it) pushing the move into overtime, charging extra for stairs, mileage, etc. It cost me about twice as much as I had been quoted all told.

2. Adam says:

Me too. Desi movers is a scam. Buggers.

3. Fereshteh says:

We are planning on suing Desi movers after they blackmailed us into paying them more than originally agreed upon, then took off without moving all our stuff. Send me an email if you’re interested in joining.

4. R P G says:

The Desi mover is one of cheater company.I had very bad experience them. We are also planing to sue them.Can be to-gether and file the case.

5. saif says:

I agree guys… i should have found this website before. I am the latest scam of DESI MOVERS. This is what i paid…. and i paid $1000 for a move from scarborough to brampton…..this is what i paid for….
    labour hours(doesnt matter how long it takes they will charge you 4 hrs plus whtever time it takes them to get to your other place and they take their sweet time…. plus they will double that and bill you)
    flight charge
    travel charge
    km charge
    heavy item charge…..

man it was the worst experience of all…… i would mind being scammed on ebay….. but this is just bad…… i wanna file a suit aginst them tooo

6. Benson says:

Desi Movers ripped off my brothers family,E mail me if u have a case against them, or if u wanna plan something out

7. DDK says:

Desi movers are just plain fraud artists. They quote one thin on the phone, then another when it’s all over. They do not use blankets or covers for your goods on their truck. Could not care less about the damage they do to your goods. They do not have a clue about how to load a truck, what they leave behind , what they damage or anything else for that matter.

Jason and the rest of these guys should be rotting in jail somewherre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Vineet Sharma says:

Hi Guys

The same story happened with me on Feb 29th. It seems that these people have made it a habit of scamming people and unless something is done about them , they will continue to do that fearlessly which is a shame.

I have already filed a complaint in Better Business Bureau and I would advise you all to do something (put pressure on the authorities) , so that these people are not permitted to operate.Does anyone know wether there is a licensing authority that permits them to operate. We should all make a complaint to them.

9. Siddesh says:

Are all you talking about Desi Movers in the Bay Area (San Jose, California) or is it someone else? I contacted this guy from http://www.desimovers.com/ and am planning to move next month within San Jose area. Can any of you suggest whether these guys are good?

No, this is Desi Movers in Toronto. The beginning of the second paragraph of the post states that.

11. Raj says:

The saga continues, one more victim “me” gets added to the list. It was absolutely horrendous. The movers are rude, slow and so unprofessional. You land up paying for services that they haven’t even provided. The original price ballonned from $44/hr to $180/hr !! Landed up paying a hugely inflated bill. worse, they didnt complete the job and left half way through the job, leaving me high and dry !

If the above people went through what i went through, than i hope you guys are equally eager to do something .. atleast ensure that no one in the future gets cheated the way we have.

For starters, anyone reading this blog…plzzzz do not engage DESI MOVERS…they are apparently going by the name of “DYNAMIC MOVERS” now.

12. rajiv says:

Another victim of desi movers. we are planning to complain to better bussiness berau and to the court. They did not explain the contract before getting it signed. Desi movers harrased during moving asking for money every now and then instead of asking for after the loading was done. we had to go to find out the movers and find them drining coffee. they did not load the truck fully and ran away after unloading without giving us final bill. The worst was, one of the movers verbelly assualted woman. we are even planning to write it up in the news papers and soon we will be contacting the ministry for their robbing, harrasing, assualting and frauds to the public.

13. Deepak Tuteja says:

Hi…
    I also got cheated by Desi movers this sunday ( 31th May) ..I was quoted for $275 and after they loaded the truck,they gave me a bill of $755.

I am also planning to complain and sue them. I have taken the pictures of truck plate no and the unloading of trucks.

My email is “tuteja@hotmail.com”

14. Rakesh says:

This is my yesterdays experience with Desi movers. I was told that It will cost $52 per hour and estimated cost would be $250 to $ 300 and then extorted more than $2000 and did not unload also properly .They were so full of themselves that they said even cops won’t do anything as it is a civil case.Let us all get together otherwise these guys are going to be on rampage.

15. Kim says:

My father and I were taken in by Desi Movers yesterday July 3,2008. Based on a telephone quote and nespaper ad of $40 per hour, my father decided to hire desi movers to move a simple basement apt. The movers arrived 2 hours late and then took 2 hours to pack a truck which was too small to hold the contents of the apt. After packing the truck, albeit improperly and tearing all the couches the driver then had the audacity to sit in the truck and demand payment before starting the engine! I also should mention that he demanded a $500 deposit upon his two hour late arrival. The drive to the new location which was litterally ten minutes away turned into an hour wait because “We got lost” and then they wanted to charge us for the travel time. At the end of it all there was an hour and a half long argument over charges totalling $725. Clearly I disputed these charges until the robbery was adjusted and they graciously dropped some of the charges-that should never have been put on the bill in the first place. They unloaded the truck grudgingly and then half way through the move told my father they had to move the truck to clear the way for other tenants. Needless to say that they must have moved the truck back to their office and went home because they never returned to complete the move! My father and I were left in the loading area (with a one year old in tow) to move the rest of the items (conveniently all the heavy/large things) by ourselves. If anyone reads this, flag this company in your minds so if you ever know someone that is thinking of using Desi Movers tell them to run screaming in the other direction.

16. Pompa says:

I was also ripped off by Desi movers. They got $2500 from me, when the move was only supposed to cost $550. I already FIled a Complaint to BBB, and I want to sue them, but I need enough people to support me with this case. Join together to help me do something about this moving hell company!

Please e-mail me at pompa_haque_20@yahoo.com

17. Shaheda Bhabha says:

IWe were scaammed by Desi Movers too- They arrived late – demanded a $500.00 deposit before loading- moved very slowly,consatntly complaining about how tired they were from their morning job- took many breaks- then when they closed their truck which was not fully loaded , they demanded another $530.00 – or they would take off with our goods- there were all kinds of charges that were never disclosed before at the time of agreement- We were only advised of $50.00/hr- whenwe asked for a fax copy of the agreement -, they said it was not neccessary- anyway weKNOW THAT WERE CHEATED- Not only did they take double the money from us then nthe original quote – at $50.00 hr which is $500.00 but they left after 7hrs instead of ten hours, and left half of our goods at our home that we moved from- We had to rent a truck and get n new crew to help us the next day and pay our landlord for two more days rent- The behaviour that the movers displayed was
    frightening – rude and unco-operative and we are disputing the time.
    I will add to the details later – PLEASE BE AWARE OF TRICKSTERS _ MY ADVICE TO ALL
    HOMEOWNERS THAT ARE PLANNING A MOVE _Thorougly check out the buisness before signign up – Please do not fall prey as we have.

18. subhash chandra says:

Hi All

We had people hire this company to pick up furniture. They gave them a price

over the phone

said there were no extra(hidden ) charges but when they had loaded the

furniture they told

them there was a $300 deposit and other charges which added up to nearly

$400-more than

twice what was quoted.

Be Warned DO NOT use this company or any company with this telephone/fax #

or Ontario #. Note they do not give there full address.

Dynamic Moving

operated under 1715130 Ontario Inc.

PH 416-455-1274 Fax 416-741-8776

Scarborough

Warn all your friends and family re: this kind of scam.

19. Kam says:

Hi Pompa and the rest of you all,

I would like to teach this guy(s) a lesson. Let us meet. I work downtown Toronto and live in Scarborough. Suggest a place where we all can meet.

20. Yvonne Cheung says:

Hi, I used Dynamex. Do the people working for Desi use other names of the company to cheat people? Thanks.

21. frank and Lydia says:

this company was hired for June 6 2008. They loaded the truck and moved our stuff to their storage facility. Before they would unload our property they demanded payment. They also demanded extra costs for hidden fees. The estimate was $600 and ended up paying $3000.00. If anyone is commencing with any legal action please contact us. Thank you

22. Binder says:

We just got scammed today (Aug 24th) by these A** H****.
    First they showed up 2 hours late, we were moving from a apartment to a house. First off they wanted $500 deposit and after they loaded the truck they wanted another $800 which I paid in cash because that’s what they wanted. After they arrived they wanted another $800 after aruging for some time…with my two small kids crying . They advised us that they will start throwing our stuff outside if we do not pay then more. I called the local police who did not care about what was happening to us they said it was a private matter. The local police department was useless. The distance between the moves was 10 minutes… I end up calling my family over to move the stuff since they left everything on the driveway and they refused to take the stuff inside less we paid them more. I would never recommend these criminals for moving. I had movers in the past and I never paid more then $350 to $450. If anyone is interested in starting a law suit please contact me….our move was in Brampton.

23. Binder says:

My email address is bo2625@yahoo.ca…if interested in legal action please email me.

24. PnP says:

I can’t believe that i did not read this web site before hiring Desi Movers. Anyone thinking of hiring Desi Movers…PLEASE DO NOT. THEY ARE A SCAM.

They quoted us $48 for a 4 hour job, including travelling time (should have paid in the neighbourhood of $300-$350). I was asked to pay $841 upon arrival at the destination. After several discussions with Jay, I ended up paying $700 as they were holding my goods as a hostage. Then they left in the middle of the job and left me and my wife on our own to move the heavy stuff.

Seems like I am not the first to go through this. I will be contacting others to discuss a lawsuit.

DO NOT USE DESI MOVERS…THEY ARE A SCAM. I CAN NOT BE ANY CLEARER THAN THIS.

25. Adarsh says:

I am also victim of desi movers. if any one has postal adress of “Desi movers” please tell me,my lawyer need it for suing them . please lets make a group of “Victims of Desi Movers” and sue them.

26. Jennifer says:

Hi everyone:

I too was ripped off by these guys on July 29, 2008. In fact twice in one day. The first company quoted price on phone then showed up with contract full off hidden fees. I suspect they were hoping I had no choice. I sent them away. I called second company that came the same afternoon. The 2nd company also quoted $44 rate on phone, assured me there would be no extra charges. When they showed up they demanded $300 up front. I called Jason and agreed on $150. cash up front, and balance at the other end. It was very assertive negotiating. I asked driver to show me the contract or receipt first. He gave me a receipt and took my cash. (Throughout this, the driver was off and on the phone several times with Jason) Then the contract came out, with all these hidden fees. I refused to sign. They drove away with my $150 cash. They had never touched a stick of furniture. Police caught them driving away, but “did not have authority to make them return money”. Turns out both companies fall under the same roof. Dynamic and dynamite driving a desi movers truck. Andy and Jason. I would also like to take part in your law suit.

27. Jennifer says:

Adarsh how do I contact you to give you the address I have for these guys. I also feel it would be a great idea to go after these guys as a group.

28. Harman says:

i just got scammed by these guys… they ripped me off for $3300!!!!! basically held my stuff hostage and kept demanding more and more money. these guys play games, and put me and my family through hell not to mention damaged many of my belongings. i am trying to take action please inform me if others wish to also

29. Naveen says:

DEAR FRENDS,
    I AM THE LATEST VICTIM OF THIS SCAM. I ALSO PAID $1220 ALMOST $ 1000 EXTRA OF WHAT THEY TOLD ME.
    IF ANYONE HAD SUED OR PLANNING TO SUE THEM PLEASE CONTACT ME AT
    N_BATCH@REDIFFMAIL.COM.
    I AM ALSO PLANNING TO SUE THEM.

30. Naveen says:

I have been the latest victim of Desi Movers. And ended up paying 1220 instead of 250.
    TO be short, I too am interested in sueing this guy. Let’s do it togather. My email is nav_job@redifmail.com
    Please post your emails also so that we can be in touch.

31. Naveen says:

Infact I was told $48/hr rate. Nothing was mentioned that it is per person and there will be travelling cost and heavy iterms , stair charges etc..

32. N.T says:

We got robbed yesterday by them, same situation, quoted $200 flat for 4 hours, we had only 2 ITEMS to move from one place to another, 15 minutes drive, 20 minutes work.
    They asked for cash before starting, in the middle they asked for $200 more for having to roll the dolly on a ramp, after moving the 2 items into the truck, they asked for $600 total before delivering to destination, we refused to pay $600, THEY UNLOADED THE ITEMS ON THE GROUND AND LEFT with $400. We called the Police, they said to file as Small Claims. With much difficulty my husband and I managed to put the table into our car and drove ourselves to the destination, when we came back to pick up the Buffet, somebody had already taken it………..
    We are ready to take any action, I will file a complaint with BBB and my husband is looking into filing it at the Small Claims Court.

DESI MOVERS ARE ROBBERS. TOOk $400 AND LEFT OUR STUFF ON THE FLOOR, OUTSIDE OUR BULDING WHERE THEY STARTED.

33. C says:

Hi there,

I had the same experience as you others on this blog have also described but through another company using a Desi Movers truck and am planning on sueing as well. My move took nine hours and my mother is elderly, has poor english and is disabled they have robbed us of every penny we have, $2000+ for our move when originally quoted $45 per hour, and I assure you our move did not take over 40 hours. Any help or comment would be great. Feel free to look up this company as well, they are called “Pacific Van Lines Moving”.

Thanks
    cmak_356@hotmail.com

34. niranjan kamath says:

Adarsh I know their address. You can contact me. This scamster is still operating. I intend going to his office and forcibly take my money from me. Anybody want to join me we can go together as a group. We have to plan this properly. Send me an email and we can plan this.

Niranjan

Niranjan, you will have to provide your email address in the comment if you want people to contact you. As the blog owner, I can see your email address in my administration view, but others can’t.

36. PC says:

I am the latest victim. I would like to join for any action against these cheaters. My email : iamdivyaonly@yahoo.com

37. Darshana Modi says:

I am the latest victim yesterday havnt recevied my stuff
    i already paid $800 (more) what we agreed and asking for more

call cops cannot do anything
    if you guy can help me out

thx
    Darshana

38. Brian says:

I’ve been in the moving busines so I believe I can comment a litle.

The problem with people is that you are all so cheap. You want a move for nothing. This is Canada and not some 3rd world country. You will pay top dollar for physical labor. Movers have to disguise charges in order to get fair compensation from people. YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET.
    If you want to avoid heartbreak I recommend 2 things

1. Hire Budget or U-haul Do it with friends and family ( feel the pain of carrying heavy items up and down stairs, gas costs, insurance etc, the hidden difficulties of moving)

2 Hire a Professional Moving company who will charge you high prices but with gurantees for quality of service and so forth.

Brian, the statement that “movers have to disguise charges in order to get fair compensation” is an indication that there’s something deeply wrong with the industry. I have paid full price for a brand name moving company (not mentioned here) to move me from California to Toronto, and I was still ripped off when they showed up at my new place and told me that they couldn’t get their truck in the drive (not accurate), so had to take it to a depot and offload it to a smaller truck. They then held my furniture hostage until I paid them an additional $800. My leather furniture was damaged, and when their insurance appraiser came to look at it he said that I would be due compensation, but then they decided that they hadn’t caused the damage. In addition to the thousands that I paid them for the move, I was out an additional $2000 or so in extra fees and furniture damage.

This was a “professional” moving company with a well-known name, and I paid top dollar. There was no excuse what happened, and I don’t think that I deserved it in any way.

40. ricardo says:

Just last week I been ripped off, by this same “cons movers”, the same escheme is repeated day after day, and we have no protection from police, courts, or BBB’s just nobady gives a dam about these, I’m also thinking into taking them to court, (does anyone scamed before has done it??, if so pls, contact me at usagb@latinmail.com asap) maybe if we set a claim alltoghether, the sistem will respond wit a god sanction against these so called “movers”

Also I sugest to post these kind ok links on places where this thieves normally operates as Kijiji, Craiglist,ebay and others. I just started after all the superb info I found after I did the search on the company 1715130 ontario

41. karolina says:

And we can add another one scam to the list.
    Desi movers, who also go by Elizabeth Movers, Dynamic Movers, Al-Pac, Comfortable Movers and so on (and have their ad in NOW and Toronto Star) ripped me off for 155$ (after all i read, i got off easy), and did not even move my stuff, just dumped it in the middle of the road after a refused to pay a bogus 420.00 bill. Desi Movers already have 30 complaints lodged against them with the ministry of consumer services, and a quick search on the internet show the numerous scams they have pulled. How this company stays in business i don’t know I suggest you call NOW magazine, The Toronto Star and any other place they advertise and lodge complaints…lets hit them where it hurts and make sure they can never scam anyone again.

And Brian: This is nothing about people being cheap, its about hardworking individuals getting ripped off (some by thousands of dollars) by these scam artists.

42. gigi says:

March 2010, yet another victim and similar story.
    I see posts that are 3 years old and the company is still in business. What has been done? What are you folks doing, I want to help as I too lost $1900 to these A**H****.

to Brian: the point is not that we are cheap, anyone anywhere in the world likes to save a buck, the point here is the extortion Desi Movers, Indo-Pak or whatever else they call themselves puts hard working people through. I have moved a 2 bdrm apt to another 2 bdrm apt before for $400 where I packed everything before hand and all the movers had to do was MOVE, so having done all the preparation myself again this time why should I not expect to pay the same price again?
    Blackmail and Extortion is a crime and that is what we all want to fight against.

The latest I know is there was an investigation and the owner Arif Syed was fined $500 for unlawful practices. That is NOT justice!

43. Sebastian says:

I am the latest victim of Desi movers. I was quoted 200 and ended up having to pay $1345.00 as they held my furniture hostage. In the end they demanded another 245.00 as the work was not completed. I did not have any more cash to pay them so they left the balance of my furniture and took off.

PLEASE lets get to gether and get these SOB as they are causing grief to so many innocent people…..

44. nk says:

email me at kngk1965@yahoo.com.

Maybe we should get togethe and see how we can sort this out…..

45. KC says:

My cousin got ripped off this weekend by the same company now under name indo pak movers.

46. JB says:

My family members were victimed today( April 19th) by these SCAM artists. They kept on demading more money and eventually parked the truck and they will not move untill paid another $2000.00 on top of being paid $800 cash! So the total move about $2800.00 moving just 30 min drive from Brampton. We told them to take the stuff off from the truck and they left that on the driveway!! Out of $ 800.00!!!

How come they are still in Business!! What we as a society going to do about it!! If we do not get-together some other innocent people are going to get hurt and burned!! Ideas please!!!!

47. Nicole says:

Just an update. The family that owns and operate Desi Movers has just been arrested by Toronto police on extortion charges.

48. Lew kalb says:

What makes it all the worse, it was on the TV today, that the scam artist family they arrested today are living in government-subsidized public housing while they were earning $500,000 a year from ripping us off!!! I hope they throw that book at these people.

49. We run a local toronto self storage business and we have found that one of the best moving services out there are two men and a truck moving.